Committed user advocate with a wide range of development skills. I build user interfaces that are responsive, compatible across browsers, and easy to use. I flourish in close team environments, integrating pair and solo programming. I write clean code, care deeply about best practices, and work hard to always be better.
Front End Engineer
May 2017 - present
- Member of small engineering team of an early-stage renewable energy startup. Responsible for entire front end of the user facing product.
- Flexible Implementations: Lead development of responsive user interfaces compatible across all major browsers. Target desktop, tablets, and iOS and android mobile devices. Adapt design mockups of multiple screen widths to a fluid, responsive implementation.
- Process Improvements: Enact comprehensive top-level code improvements that significantly increase development speed. Overhaul CSS/Sass architecture to prioritize modularity and readability. Work with designers to create and implement modular design and code system. Write a style guide and component library. Write automation scripts for cross browser testing.
- Web Accessibility: Spearhead accessibility efforts company-wide. Conduct regular accessibility audits with automated testing tools and manual testing. Enact solutions based on W3C WCAG 2.0 standards.
- Analytics: Configure, maintain, and troubleshoot code for a complex suite of analytics platforms, including Google Analytics. Implement a/b testing.
Northwest Independent Ruby Development (NIRD)
June 2015 - March 2017
- Design Integration: Matched client mockups, adapting desktop mockups to tablet and mobile screen widths. Discussed user experience issues and technical limitations with clients, and recommended solutions.
- Search Engine Optimization: Applied SEO techniques to client and NIRD internal sites to improve ranking and appearance in search engine results. Created semantic heading structures, canonical links, and structured data.
- User-Accessibility: Implemented compliance with Section 508 of the Americans with Disabilities Acts
Ada Developers Academy
February 2016 - July 2016
- Lectured on fundamentals of semantic HTML5 and CSS3
- Communicated difficult technical concepts in written and 1-on-1 contexts
- Worked with students to troubleshoot code problems
University of Washington Professional and Continuing Education
Teaching Assistant - HTML5 and CSS3 Foundations
October 2015 - December 2015
- Lectured on web accessibility and the Bootstrap framework
- Field student questions on in-class work in HTML5, CSS3, responsive design, and git
- Provided clear and constructive feedback in grading weekly student assignments
Open Source & Feelings Conference
04/15 - 12/15
A conference for creating and maintaining healthy, inclusive Open Source culture, with 19 invited speakers and close to 200 attendees.
Girl Develop It!
Study Group Coordinator and Teaching Assistant
07/14 - 4/16
Girl Develop It provides affordable and judgment-free opportunities for women interested in learning web and software development.
04/14 - present
RailsBridge puts on free and supportive workshops for women to get started or level up with Ruby and Rails.
- University of Kentucky Master of Science in Biology MS in Biology
- The Evergreen State College Bachelor of Science in Biology BS in Biology
- University of Puget Sound Bachelor of Arts in History BA in History